Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Dawkins Delusion

I read Richard Dawkins' book, The God Delusion a few months ago. Well, I didn't really read the whole thing. I just read until Dawkins gave his thesis, his "so we know almost beyond a doubt that God does not exist." (page 96 if my memory is correct). After that I skipped ahead to the two chapters on morality, to see if Dawkins had an answer. He doesn't.
But today Dawkins came back to mind and as I was reading up on him, the name of Professor Alister McGrath came to my attention. I read an interesting article on Dawkins' book by this professor. He concludes:

"Aware of the moral obligation of a critic of religion to deal with this phenomenon at its best and most persuasive, many atheists have been disturbed by Dawkins's crude stereotypes and seemingly pathological hostility towards religion. In fact, The God Delusion might turn out to be a monumental own goal - persuading people that atheism is just as intolerant as the worst that religion can offer."


Read and learn. God is not dead. They're trying hard, but He's not dead, not even close.

No comments: