Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Education for All? Why the Lost Try to Act Saved

This is a post that I'll have to permanently erase before I can ever run for president. I suppose that many of you reading this will also take a view contrary to the opinion expressed here. That's fine, one day you'll see the light. :-)
What is so important about the education of the poor? Why is there constantly a barrage of foundations and charities promoting education for all? On what grounds have the philanthropists of the developed world decided that Education should be the Golden Path?
What is so important about educating the poor in countries that have no education system for all? Indeed we tend to think that educating a nation will provide them with employment and rid them of poverty. Often, we only obtain the mild achievement of making poor uneducated
people become educated poor people.
Please don't misunderstand me. I believe in the need for education and will encourage it in the manners that seem most reasonable. I am forever thankful and indebted to my parents who provided me with a priceless education. Reading is perhaps the most important skill they
taught me (though critical thought is the cornerstone of all good education).
Years ago, when the only relief workers were missionaries the promotion of education made sense. Ideally, the mission would try to do two things: 1. translate the Bible into the local language and 2. teach the population to read so they could read the Bible for themselves. That was education at its core.
Now I have grown up an a completely secular society that has secularized itself to extreme proportions (so extreme that few people can understand us). It is therefore difficult for me to filter through values and ideals to pick out the biblical ones. What I do know is that my mind is left perplexed when I hear the media of my day call out for mass education. I cannot see France's educational system holding out another 15 years and I would have many opinions to
vent about it. But in a secular humanist mindset what is the purpose of educating the masses? I would like to know what is their motivation, because education as they've established in France does nothing to promote the ideals of democracy or of freedom, only a cold machine-like systematic atheism.

No comments: